Every year, August 21 is the World Entrepreneurs’ Day. The purpose of the World Entrepreneurs’ Day is to create awareness for entrepreneurship, innovation and leadership, initiated by AIBA, the Alliance of International Business Associations. Bahçeşehir Cyprus University contributed to the shaping of an entrepreneurial ecosystem with its research, teaching and social responsibility activities in the past two years with the following contributions:
- In the project “Entrepreneurship meets Traditions”, financed by Turkish Cooperation and Coordination Agency (TİKA) and managed by Antique Mağusa Foundation, 60 hours of entrepreneurship and innovation training was given by Asst. Prof. Dr. Burak Erkut to rural women entrepreneurs in Serdarlı and İskele districts.
- Our academicians presented their entrepreneurship-related research findings at different international scientific meetings. At the 1st International Congress on Communication, Organization, and Economics (CEO), a joint presentation by Assoc. Prof. Dr. Veclal Gündüz and Asst. Prof. Dr. Burak Erkut, together with Dr. Güzhan Gülay of Borsa İstanbul, was delivered regarding rural women entrepreneurship in the TRNC. At the 1st Global Economic Policy Group Meeting of University of Hagen (Germany) and University of Westminster (UK), Asst. Prof. Dr. Burak Erkut delivered a talk on export entrepreneurship.
- Our academicians published their research in leading outlets. A joint edited volume by Asst. Prof. Dr. Vildan Esenyel and Asst. Prof. Dr. Burak Erkut on “next generation entrepreneurship” will soon be published by IntechOpen, the world’s leading publisher of open access books. Two book chapters on currency entrepreneurship and export entrepreneurship by Asst. Prof. Dr. Burak Erkut were published by two of the world’s leading international publishing houses, AYBAK and IGI Global, in edited volumes. A third chapter on traditional entrepreneurship, written by Prof. Dr. Burcu Toker and Asst. Prof. Dr. Burak Erkut, will be published in an edited volume in 2022 by Taylor & Francis – Routledge publications.
- Together with GİGEM (Girne Youth Development Center) and Minister of Infrastructure and MP Resmiye Eroğlu Canaltay, we brought e-commerce start-ups together to discuss the problems of the growing e-commerce sector in COVID-19 times. In addition to his moderating role in this event, Asst. Prof. Dr. Burak Erkut gave an online training on market shaping to entrepreneurs participating in the entrepreneurship acceleration program of GİGEM.
- Four specially developed entrepreneurship courses were offered to our students. “Entrepreneurship and Innovation” for MBA students and “Competitive Advantage” as well as “Innovation and Industry” for undergraduate business students were offered by Asst. Prof. Dr. Burak Erkut. The course “Tourism Entrepreneurship” was offered by Asst. Prof. Dr. Taiwo Lasisi for undergraduate tourism students.
- A special issue of the SSCI journal “Sustainability” is currently co-edited by Asst. Prof. Dr. Burak Erkut together with Asst. Prof. Dr. Tuğberk Kaya (CIU) on the issues of digital economy and digital entrepreneurship.
Just like these contributions in the past two years, Bahçeşehir Cyprus University will continue to lead the way to the entrepreneurship ecosystem in the future with its teaching, research and social responsibility activities.